- OneWeb unveils its Responsible Space program at Summit for Space Sustainability – leading with responsible practices aimed at the sustainable use of Space for the benefit of future generations.
- OneWeb is raising the bar with its “Responsible by Design” approach – responsible practices are woven into its constellation and operations from their earliest design stages.
- OneWeb is advancing new space technologies through its Project Sunrise collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA), and member states. This supports the development of the Space ecosystem – supporting jobs, investment, and broadersocietal impact.
- OneWeb is participating in the development of industry best practices, modernization of regulatory policies, and creation of the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Space Sustainability Rating system.
25 June 2019 – OneWeb, the global communications company on a mission to connect the unconnected, today reaffirmed its focus on responsible space practices with three commitments to be made at the Summit for Space Sustainability in Washington, DC. OneWeb is dedicated to theidea that Space is a shared natural resource, which if used responsibly, can help transform the way we live, work, and connect.
“We and our peers have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build an industry from the ground up, designing it with our aspirations for sustainability and societal benefit at its heart. As first to market and withour first satellites launched, OneWeb is working hard to be a good role model for the industry.” said Adrian Steckel, CEO of OneWeb. “Today’s conversations are almost always about the costs that growth levies on communities and the environment. Tomorrow’s don’t have to be. The new space industry has the unique opportunity to minimize harm and buildsomething that works for everyone well into the future. That’s why we’re calling on our peers to join us in our Responsible Space Commitments,” he added.
OneWeb’s Responsible Space commitments are designed to build on and strengthen the work already being done within the Space community to address this important issue, providing a framework for best practicesaround which industry participants and others can engage. The commitments are born from OneWeb’s firm belief that the entire Space industry bears a shared responsibility for ensuring the potential of the new frontier in mobility, communication and connectivityis realized for the long-term. To achieve its goal, OneWeb has started its mission by identifying and making commitments in three key Responsible Space areas, namely:
1. Employing Responsible Space by Design and Operational Practices
OneWeb believes sustainable business practices are required to support the long-term use of Space for all. The orbital environment must support healthy competition, and cannot be allowed to become polluted,dangerous, or disruptive to scientific, educational, government, or commercial endeavors.
2. Developing the Space Ecosystem
OneWeb also recognizes the emerging Space industry’s potential to support an innovative and vibrant ecosystem for the benefit of all its participants. OneWeb believes industry along with academia, governments,and others have a shared opportunity to facilitate the development of new technologies, jobs, and industries, as well as to increase research, investment, diversity, and inclusion in local communities.
Through efforts like the Sunrise Program, a public private partnership with ESA and member states, OneWeb is collaborating with a range of partners preparing solutions for actively retrieving and removing debris from space. With OneWeb, these partners are focused on developing the cutting-edge technologies needed to address future environmental remediation needs.
3. Supporting Policy Outcomes Through Collaboration
From global connectivity to new industry and humanitarian relief, OneWeb believes the Space industry has a responsibility to work with governments to advance causes where it can have a transformational impact and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. To have the greatest impact these efforts will have to leverage the combined strength of an industry of innovators.
“OneWeb’s Responsible Space framework informs who we are and where we are going as a company. With OneWeb’s monthly launch campaign beginning at the end of the year and commercial services starting in 2021,we are committed to seeing the continued advancement and discussion of the issues at stake for the space community,” continued Adrian Steckel, CEO of OneWeb.
To learn more about the full details of OneWeb’s first Responsible Space Commitments, please visit https://responsible.space.